Be your own boss! If the following statements apply to you, you might like running your own ocean-related business.
- I am organized and can work under pressure. I like to work hard and I want to succeed.
- I have good reading and math skills. I am flexible and can do a little bit of everything. I like to learn.
- I have a good attitude. I like to manage people and products. I am confident and know that I can achieve my goals.
- Experience working in their chosen field or in a business requiring the same skills.
- Dedication to making their business a success. They work long hours, perform a lot of different roles, and are creative problem solvers.
- An understanding of the basics of financial accounting, business management, human resource management, marketing, and self-promotion. If they don’t have a skill they need, they are willing to seek out experience or training to get that skill.
Need Help Growing Your Business?
Fisheries Technicianf you are living within our traditional territory, The Nuu-chah-nulth Economic Development Corporation (NEDC) might be able to help you with your business idea. NEDC has developed a youth entrepreneurship program that includes business loans, advice, a mentoring program, and workshops on topics like business planning, marketing and financing. Businesses may be both on and off reserve. If you are between the ages 18 and 35 and you have a great business idea, contact NEDC at 724-3131 or toll free 1-866-444-6332.
Did You Know
The Nuu-chah-nulth word for restaurant is haaw?aq?i?.