Uu-a-thluk Fisheries Technican
Uu-a-thluk (NTC Fisheries) is seeking a term (to December 2018) full-time Fisheries Technician to assist Uu-a-thluk Biologists in fisheries management activities. Based out of Port Alberni, the position will have frequent travel to all Nuu-chah-nulth territories.
Activities will include a variety of fisheries management projects and duties, such as fisheries monitoring, monitoring and assessments of salmon, groundfish, shellfish, data processing and writing. Uu-a-thluk staff will provide training and mentoring in relevant job skills.
- Interest in a career in Fisheries or Natural Resource management
- Experience working within your Nuu-chah-nulth Nation’s fisheries program or another Nuu-chah-nulth Nations fisheries program
- An understanding of Nuu-chah-nulth fisheries and culture
- Comfort around water, fishers, and boats, boat operator experience/certifications an asset
- Able to meet deadlines, and maintain productive working relationships with other staff and fishers
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task
- Good physical fitness
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team
- The ability to travel, frequently overnight, for extended stays
- Effective written and verbal communications skills
- Computer skills such as Microsoft Office (i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Internet
- A driver’s license and a reliable vehicle are required for this position
- Provide acceptable criminal record check
(We regret that we will only respond to those applicants chosen for an interview. We thank all applicants for their interest. Pursuant to Section 16(1) of the Canadian Human Rights Act, preference will be given to aboriginal candidates who have a working knowledge of Nuu-chah-nulth culture and fishing practices.)
Apply by: 12:00 pm (noon), July 20, 2018 by sending your cover letter, resume, and 3 references (available to call) to:
Nuu-chah-nulth Tribal Council
P.O. Box 1383
5001 Mission Road
Port Alberni, BC V9Y 7M2
Attn.: Human Resource Manager
Uu-a-thluk is looking for members to sign up for course waiting lists for the following:
– Marine Basic First Aid
– Marine Emergency Duties A3
– Small Marine Vessel Operator Certificate
– Restricted Radio Operator Licence
These courses are critical for those who are or will be working on the water.
Uu-a-thluk is also looking for those interested in the following courses:
– At-Sea Monitoring and Observation
– Sports Fishing – Guiding and Chartering
– Guiding for Species Other Than Salmon
If sufficient interest is demonstrated, Uu-a-thluk will fundraise to organize these courses.
Uu-a-thluk staff welcomes any suggestions that you might have for the training that you require and suggestions for the training courses that would best serve your needs and the needs of your community. For any comments you have, please contact Michelle Colyn at 250-724-5757 or Michelle.Colyn@nuuchahnulth.org.